Our Birth Story!
Owen's Un-Medicated, Amazing Birth Story....
My water started leaking at midnight on the 15th. I started having some contractions but nothing I couldn't sleep through. So I waited to call the midwife until 8 am. My contractions were 10 min apart and uncomfortable but not too bad at all. She told me to take it easy and rest as much as I could. I sent Steve to work since there wasn't much he could do but sit around with me.
My mom came over and we enjoyed sitting on my glassed in front porch talking and eating. My mom and I went to the Thrift Store to get the rocker I had my eye on and Ace to get spray paint. While my mom spray painted the rocker I took a nap. I was able to sleep for two hours without the contractions waking me up. Steve got home at 4:30 and the contractions started to speed up a little (7 min a part). I was able to breath through them and relax.We called the midwife just to check in. The contractions still weren't too bad.
I didn't start really having to focus on my breathing until 9:00pm. I remember we were watching This Old House. Steve started looking at the clock again and the contractions were 5 min a part. at 10:00 they were 3 min apart. So we called the midwife. I told her what was going on and that I didn't want to come all the way to the hospital and be sent back home. She said since my water had been leaking since the night before that she wouldn't send me home. So we packed up slowly and headed to the hospital.
I knew the car ride was going to be bad.. which it was.. I was defiantly a woman on one of those videos grunting and breathing. At one point I remember Steve saying ... umm they are like 2 min apart..... We pulled up to the hospital's emergency entrance... and parked... I walked from the side parking ramp... When we walked in I really didn't feel like sitting in a wheel chair.. mainly because the drive was not fun and I had to sit there...but also becuase I wanted to be tough... so we walked the very long distance to the birthing unit.
We checked into Triage, changed and waited for Erikke.. The contractions got really bad then and I had to hang on Steve or get him to push on my hips to get through it. Erikke checked me and said "you are 8 cm dialated, let's get you into a room". She asked me if I would like a bath and I said yes I think that would be nice. So I got into the tub and wasn't there for more than three contractions before I said.. " I feel like pushing." They helped me out and Erikke checked me again and said " ok you can push whenever you feel like it....
This is when the real pain started.. oh my gosh the BURN!!!!! I don't remember anyone talking about the burn... It is hard to put the feeling into words... it felt like hours but I guess it was only 18 min. He crowned for a long time I guess my muscles were really tight. Finally he came out, what a release. I remember them saying " look at your baby" they put him on my chest and I rember saying oh my gosh I just had a baby and then thinking he is huge.... I wanted them to weigh him right away.. and I was right he is huge.. He nursed right away and I was in bliss. There was some pain when I delivered the placenta and she had to give me 4 stiches but oh my gosh "I JUST HAD A BABY!"....
Owen Dale Gillingham born on St. Patrick's day, March 17th, at 1:10 am
9 lbs 3 oz 20 1/2 inches long
The pain was worth it for sure!
Owen is doing great.. he has a little Jaundice and has been on phototherapy the last few days. No biggy... my milk came in and I had two days where my hormones kicked in so I cried a lot and felt like I didn't know what I was doing. My parents came over and my dad recommeded I drink a Guinness... it actually really helped me relax and my milk started flowing (I guess the yeast is really good for milk flow) but I feeel much better now that he is being fed well. He is also sleeping a ton more.
I am so happy that I could have the experience that I wanted. I swear we are doing so well because we didn't have any meds..Owen was so alert after the birth and so was I. It is so worth it!

1 Comments:
I love that you gave us the story. I feel like I was right there with you. I am glad that you have family near you to help you through. Enjoy! I hope to meet Owen soon.
Love, Jill
Post a Comment
<< Home